Check back often for weather alerts and news for our New Boston location.
Wednesday June 4, 2014: City of Monroe job opening for a Firefighter/Paramedic
CITY OF MONROE, MICHIGAN
The City of Monroe is currently accepting applications for full-time Firefighter-Paramedics.
To apply and schedule a written exam for this position, go to the website https://www.empco.net/fts/ and follow the instructions. Send completed City application, resume, college transcripts and certifications to: City of Monroe, Human Resources Department, 120 E. First St., Monroe, MI. 48161 or FAX: 734-243-8683 or email Carole.Snider@monroemi.gov. Visit the City of Monroe Website at www.monroemi.gov.
- United States Citizen.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- High School graduate with an Associate’s Degree or equivalent and/or MCOLES pre-certification preferred but not required.
- Possess a current valid State of Michigan Vehicle Operator’s License and have a good driving record.
- Must possess a Michigan Firefighter II certification and a current valid State of Michigan Paramedic license.
- Must possess documentation of a successful candidate physical agility test (CPAT).
- Must possess hazmat operations level certification.
- Must pass an oral board examination.
- Must possess normal visual acuity and have distance vision of 20/40 or better uncorrected for each eye. 20/20 each eye separate with correction. Visual field must be normal. Must be able to pass color vision.
- Candidates must also pass medical/drug screening, background investigation, and psychological exam.
- Residency within 20 miles of the City of Monroe is required within two years after employment.
- Excellent Benefit Package
- Beginning Salary: $40,106.38
All applications will be reviewed before final acceptance. Veterans, minorities and female candidates are encouraged to apply. Qualified applicants can apply in person, by mail, or email. Completed applications must be returned no later than 4:30 p.m. on Friday, August 29, 2014.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Tuesday June 3, 2014: MAESAH New Boston Hosts Open House Event
The First Annual Michigan Academy Open House was held on May 17th 2014. An estimated 100-125 people attended the inaugural event. The Romulus and Huron Township Fire Departments and Huron Township Police Department put on demonstrations including: Vehicle Extrication (Jaws of Life), Fire Hose Operations (kids spraying the fire hose) and finger printing (kids get finger printed).
Promedica Ambulance, based out of Toledo, brought up their Transport Helicopter that is used throughout Monroe, Lenawee, southern Wayne county and northern Ohio. Our instructor Paul Sorrell taught a landing zone class to the local firefighters and a landing zone was established on Commerce Rd in front of the school. The helicopter was landed with around 75 people in attendance. Tours were then given by the flight crew and many questions answered.
A bake sale was also held with all proceeds being donated to the local food pantry “Fish and Loaves”. We raised just over $100. All bake goods were made by Charli Louria, Kim Wilson, Therle Dregnasky and Charli’s sister. The Maple Cupcakes (sprinkled with Bacon) made by Charli’s sister were a favorite among the attendees.
American Red Cross brought their mobile blood donation center and received donations on-site.
There was also fun to be had by the children in attendance. Carey Ann the Clown was kept very busy doing face painting and making balloon animals. Sharon’s Party Rental set up the very popular bounce house. It had action from start to finish.
We held two Friends and Family CPR courses for local citizens. This course lasts about 30 minutes and covers the basics of lay person CPR.